Monday, July 30, 2012

Meeting Andy

So it is Monday morning and I am supposed to be sleeping, but I can't. Here I am in Arkansas and all I can think about is Andy... And the adoption... And the baby... And what she is going through...  Last night we had our first meeting. Wow! It was amazing. We didn't know if we would get to see her, as it was late and she had church. Chase and I arrived at the hotel, got some dinner, settled in and even went swimming. With no way to make contact with her we finally decided she must not be coming. So I washed my face, pulled my hair back and put on my thick glasses. Since I forgot to pack pajamas for chase he was "sleeping" in his clothes. We were in for the night. Then the room phone rang. Andy was in the lobby! We rushed around the room, Chase was jumping up and down and we could hardly get out the door fast enough! We scrambled to the elevator and I tried to compose myself. She was just around the corner! I couldn't believe it! As we walked down the hall, I saw her. She flashed a huge smile and stood up to greet me. She was holding her youngest son, Joshua. He is one. We embraced and then she made introductions to her husband Lani, and three year old Brandon. It couldn't have gone better.  Now as I wake up early this morning with the anticipation of seeing her, I can't stop thinking about why our lives are now intertwined. It is breaking my heart once again to fall in love with this beautiful family that is in a situation where they must part with a child. She told me over and over how excited she was to meet me. She was happy I could speak some Marshallese. She laughed with me and made a lot of jokes (oh, is she funny!). But I am the one adopting her child. This joy is once again combined with sadness. I already love this woman and I barely even know her.

3 comments:

  1. So glad I found your blog. :-) I am so excited to hear about your new adventure. So glad it went so well.
    B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad it's all going well! You'll need to get some cute baby guams for next summer ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy you're in AR and meeting your new family---can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete