As the days have turned into weeks I find myself falling back into a routine. I am feeling less overwhelmed by walking into Target and seeing all the choices. I do not feel as guilty when I think about buying a picture frame for Rickson’s room or tell someone about how I like the paint color we picked for his nursery. I realize this is okay. When I first returned I had so much guilt for the things we are able to do here in America. For thinking about decorating rooms when they only have plywood walls.
But my life must goes on, and so must their’s…just in a very different way. I am adjusting back to the American way, while they continue in poverty. I stay in touch and find out that they went for three days last week without food. Elina could not feed her family. On the fourth day they finally were given some rice from a neighbor. I continue to smile and see friends and family and enjoy our time together, but I have a sadness in my heart that I keep to myself. How is it that they are starving? That I am over 7,000 miles away and can offer little help? That I go to the grocery and buy whatever I desire when they are longing for a spoonful of rice? So I can help, I can send money and I do. But how is that ever enough? The oldest son can rarely go to school because they struggle to find money for the bus fair. They cannot afford the school lunch program so he never eats when he does make it to school. There is no hope for so many in the Marshall Islands. Their story is not the exception, but the rule.
Please pray for them, this family that I love…
Praying for you and the people of the Marshall Islands always! If you need or want to talk, please don't hesitate to call. :)
ReplyDeletePraying too Laurie.
ReplyDeleteI teach our missions sundays a lot at church and it's just heartbreaking what these people in other countries have to go though to have the necessities in life. I feel bad too. But you know, I have realized also that we are given so much so we can share and bless others too. That's what we do. That's what God calls us to do. You are a warrior. Don't feel bad for that. Grandma just said she feels bad that all she can do for us sometimes is pray for us. I told her that is the most important and powerful thing anyone can do and that is all I want. God has and always will hear our prayers. His purpose for things is surprising sometimes, but always so miraculous.
ReplyDeleteMaybe it's on your heart b/c He wants you to start a ministry/foundation to help the Marshalese people? You have seen it firsthand and can probably know most about how to help them, etc. Just a thought.
You said so well how I feel all the time about America, RMI, birthfamily needs. You can't explain it to people who haven't felt it.
ReplyDeleteGina