Today was a day of celebration, yet a day that started with sadness. I woke with a heavy heart realizing instantly it was my last day here in "little RMI". It is custom to celebrate an adoption and we were planning lunch with the entire Alex family today.
At 11:00 am we pulled into the Panda Chinese Restaurant. Andy and Lani pulled in right behind us. We started to gather at the front entrance. Car after car pulled in and their Marshallese family joined us. All totalled, their were about 30 family members there to celebrate Alani's adoption.
As the family came to gather many of them gave us hugs. As we made our way into the restaurant and asked for a "table for 30", they took us to a private room. There they joined two rows of tables together and we prepared to join in a celebration meal together. Before the meal, one of the Uncles/Grandfathers began to talk. He stood up and addressed us all, telling us what a very, very special day this was. This was a day of celebration and a day to join two families together forever. He thanked us and showed his appreciation to us who were now part of his family. He then gave me an opportunity to talk and I was so grateful to be able to show my love for Andy and her family and to express my gratitude for being welcomed into this family with open arms.
Their pastor and his wife had also come to join us in the celebration. He said a beautiful Marshallese prayer. Although I did not understand a word, I was praying right along with him. Knowing God had orchestrated this moment, I did not need to speak the same language to be in prayer and thanksgiving and know what he was saying.
We then all ate and celebrated. The kids played and their was a lot of laughter from adults and children alike. As the meal was winding down, the head uncle again stood up. He then gathered his entire family around us and told us they would like to sing several songs for us. They were Marshallese songs to celebrate us gathering together. Then they sang. They sang the most beautiful songs and my heart was so full. We are so blessed. We then took a group picture together and sang one final song. They asked us to line up in front of them and as they sang, each and every family member (adult and child) came through our line and hugged us and said thank you, God Bless or some other word of peace, gratitude or thanks. It was extremely emotional. I cannot express how blessed I feel and how surrounded in love I know that I am. My family continues to grow and it knows no cultural or racial boundaries. It is God's perfect love.
As the day began to wind down, we went to the few local Marshallese stores to buy a few handicrafts. Andy and I picked out a beautiful necklace, earrings and bracelet for Alani when she is older. It will be special to give it to her knowing her two mothers picked it out together. Then later that evening Andy stopped by with more handicrafts from her aunt and uncle. She also just informed me they have more handicrafts to bring us in the morning before we depart.
They continue to give and give and give and show us their love. They have already given us the most selfless gift, but they want us to see their love even more.
My heart continues to be amazed by the Marshallese people. I am so thankful that our lives have been forever intertwined with theirs.
Saturday, September 15, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Yes, God's perfect love.
ReplyDeletePerfect
ReplyDeleteIt is amazing how God brings these families together and how he orchestrates the perfect child for the perfect family. It doesn't matter if it is through a child being born into that family or through adoption, God has his hand on every part of it. So happy for you all! Love you guys!
ReplyDeleteSo sweet! Glad it has been so wonderful. I am so happy for your family.
ReplyDeleteBecky