For the past 20 minutes I have been sitting watching Rickson care for his baby sister. Alani has been sleeping in a baby seat and Rickson has been sitting next to her on the floor tending to her needs. He has been patting her, moving her hat out of her eyes and trying to give her a bottle while she sleeps. He loves this little girl!
Chase asks to hold Alani numerous times each day. After a few minutes of "playing" with her, he says he is done because she "just sits there". Then later he will ask to hold her again. He loves this little girl!
Yesterday Andy invited us over to her house. It was an honor and not always an invitation that is extended. We took the family pizzas for lunch and then sat with her. She is recovering from her c-section, but doing well. I immediately gave Alani to Andy to hold. Several other family members were introduced that I had not previously met, including another "grandfather". In their culture, uncles are also grandfathers. She has at least two or more "grandfathers" here in Arkansas. Alani was passed around from family member to family member. They love this little girl!
I continue to struggle with how it is that I am so blessed with the life I have and witness so closely the struggle of others. As I sat with Andy, I was experiencing the Marshall Islands in a totally different way. The culture was the same, the poverty was the same, the kindness and love was the same, but just in a different location. The kindness is truly overflowing. Here we are... a family of four plus a baby that is all of ours. We are invited into their home and accepted. I have lost track of how many people live in this small duplex, but it is a lot. Several families all under one roof. Yet they bring us in and treat us as one of their own. They sit and talk in Marshallese and I do not understand them. Yet I know they include me. They do not have to accept me, yet they choose to. Andy made a choice and her family chooses to accept it. The grandfathers, the aunties, the uncles, the cousins, the sisters and brothers. They all accept her choice and in turn accept us.
Rickson has been a testament to them about our desire to keep this family close. They are so interested in Rickson and his birthfamily. They smile when they watch him. I imagine it must be reassurance that Alani's situation will be the same.
This little girl has united so many lives and is loved by so many!
Wednesday, September 12, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

And they are forever now part of our family! Love you all, thanks for sharing Laurie!
ReplyDeleteLove reading about your experiences. Bless you!
ReplyDeleteBecky