I can only imagine the scene to the onlookers. I didn't think of it in the moment, only after we said our goodbyes and I noticed the lady in the hotel breakfast area crying. Andy, Lani and the kids came to the hotel this morning to say goodbye and bring us a few more handicrafts, necklaces and flowers for our hair. We sat in the breakfast/lobby area and visited with each other one last time. It was Sunday morning after the Arkansas football game, so the hotel was sold out and the Razorback fans were out in full force having their breakfast. The area was full of people and we occupied a little corner with our family. The kids played together and laughed. Andy held Alani and I, of course, took pictures. My cousin, Becky, had given me the most beautiful framed poem about adoption and two mothers. I presented this to Andy as our goodbye gift from my cousin. I told her that I had the same one at my house and that Alani would always have two mamas. She said WOW.... which is their favorite expression when they truly love something. It made my heart happy.
Then it was time to say goodbye. Andy and Lani said they would go now. They were heading to church. Andy handed Alani to me and just smiled her sweet smile at me. We gave hugs all around. Little Jun Jun let me hold him. I also got some great pictures of him with Alani. The two of them look so much alike. Hugs for Lani and for sweet Janet whom I adore. Tender moments of Lani holding Rickson and hugging him goodbye. It was all sweet and happy. We then walked them out to their car. They piled in and were all smiles. There they were once again, arms waving out the open windows of the car. The five of us stood on the sidewalk waving as big as we could. Rickson shouted by to each one of the family by their name.
This goodbye was much different than when we said goodbye to Elina. Maybe it is because we know we will see them again sometime soon. We can drive to Arkansas on a few tanks of gas. The plane tickets to the Marshall Islands make trips few and far between. Maybe it was because the head uncles of the family declared us as part of their family now. Maybe it was because Andy is so much stronger and leaving her was like leaving a friend I knew I would see again, not someone who needed me as much.
The way we parted left me with such peace. The last thing I saw was Andy's sweet smile and it made me know she is okay. I have always known she was strong, but to see it on her face in the final moments of our adoption week together made me also feel this in my heart.
Today my heart is full. I have a daughter more beautiful than I could have ever imagined. I have another Marshallese family to love. I have two boys who now have a sister they love and adore. I have a husband who I love to watch holding his little baby girl. I have so much love in my life and it makes me happy.
So goodbye my sweet Andy..... I love you and I love our daughter. I will raise her to know you and to love you. I cannot wait until we meet again.
Goodbye Arkansas... Goodbye my sweet Marshallese family...
Sunday, September 16, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Praise the Lord for peace that passes understanding, it is truly amazing how beautiful all of this is and the many ways God was knit His promises together, again and again!
ReplyDeleteLaurie I am amazed at your gift for describing so simply and beautifully your experience with your new daughter's birth family. Only God could create a relationship like this. I just so admire how you and Chris and the boys have experienced this, and I can see your love, admiration, and respect for Andy and Lani, and their family. Just beautiful. Thank you for sharing this moment!
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet story. Blessings on you and your family. (your whole family :-)
ReplyDeleteBecky