Saturday, September 15, 2012

She is our daugther!

It is 3:00 am and Alani is awake and so am I.  I couldn't go back to sleep even if I tried.  I cannot stop thinking about all the emotions running through my head. 

Today was court day!  Alani Elizabeth Emlynn Herrell is officially our daughter!  We arrived at court at 8:00 am to meet with our attorney.  The judge had a bad cold, so rather than have us do the proceedings in her small chambers she had us go in the courtroom so she wouldn't be too close to the baby.  The courtroom was big and beautiful, as has everything else been in Springdale.  It was a large wood courtroom and the three of us sat a the large table, while our attorney stood next to us.  The only other participants were the bailiff and judge.  Regardless of the formal decor and proceedings, everything proceeded so casually.

We were asked a few brief questions, all the documents were presented and Alani was declared our daughter.  I was filled with tears, but didn't have time to cry before they moved on to other things.   The judge and attorney were chatting about life and things moved on.  But life had changed for us in that instant!  We had a beautiful baby girl in arms that was now ours!  And nothing could change that!

Andy and Lani tried to make it to court to join us, but Lani works third shift and had just finished work.  I wanted them to be there, but selfishly, it took away the guilt that I would have had to carry if the transfer of her becoming our daughter had happened in front of them.  Instead I received a nice message from Andy telling me to enjoy our court day.  She would see me later.  What a selfless woman!

Chris and Alani and I then went to the clerks office with our attorney, filed paperwork and received our adoption decree.  The birth certificate was filed and we were free to go.  It amazed me how easy this process was in comparison to the international court proceedings for Rickson.

The three of us then spent some time driving around the University of Arkansas.  We took pictures of the campus and other areas in the Springdale area to add to Alani's life book.  We bought some Arkansas souvenirs to remember her Gotcha Day.  It couldn't have been a more perfect morning.

We came home and embraced our family.  My Mom and Dad have been here visiting from Cincinnati.  It has been amazing to go through this with them and have them see firsthand the Marshallese experience. 

Chase then complained about having to do his homework and our day moved on to normal. I couldn't ask for a more perfect normal...  I love my new new normal!  We are a family of five!

Welcome Alani, my baby girl!

3 comments: