Saturday, September 15, 2012

A perfect moment


 
Do you ever have a moment in time you wish you could freeze?  A moment that is so perfect you couldn't have dreamed it could happen better? 

This past Wednesday we were sitting outside our hotel in their outdoor area.  It is such a nice place.  They have a netted basketball court, a small putting green and then beautiful outdoor couches and a fire pit.  They have tables and chairs and a huge grill.  This area is secluded and tucked in between the buildings.  We have enjoyed this area each and every night of our time here in Springdale.  It is the perfect area for the boys to just run and play and run off energy.  Chris and I can relax on the couches with Alani, while the boys expend some energy.

This past Wednesday we were waiting for Andy and Lani to arrive.  They were coming for dinner.  The hotel serves a free dinner to guests several nights a week.  Their family was planning to come eat with us anyway and the hotel said they were our family, so should eat with us, as well.

They were due to arrive any minute.  As we see their old silver car pull in my heart began to smile.  They pull into the parking spot and arms are waving out the windows to greet us.  Through the dark windshield I see Andy's smile.  Rickson runs down the sidewalk to greet them.  Lani smiles and Andy laughs.  Three of their kids came with them and it was a special time with just their immediate family. 

They bring us Marshallese gifts.  I receive a beautiful Marshallese dress (moo-moo) and Chris a matching Marshallese shirt.  I also receive several hair clips with flowers tied to them. I tell Andy that one day Alani can wear them, too.  Here in Arkansas they do not have access to Marshallese gifts and handicrafts like when on the island.  Here they cannot just make them, they have to buy them.  It is more of a sacrifice.  We expected nothing.  It strikes me that here they are giving us gifts after they have already given us the greatest gift of all.  Yet, they continue to give more and more. 

We ate dinner together and Andy held Alani. All the kids played basketball and golf and whatever other  game they could come up with.  Their two boys are 1 and 3.  Rickson is 2.  The three of them together are adorable!  They played with matchbox cars on the putting green.  Janet is 8 like Chase and she and the two of them played basketball and football.  Lani and Chris joined in, as well!  All the while Andy and I sat and watched while laughing and just being together. 

I took a step back and observed all that was happening around me.  I tried to take in the moment and make it last forever.  I knew it would pass all too quickly.  I have had such special experiences with the Marshall Islands. With Elina, it is more like a 35 year old daughter.  With Andy it is like a 25 year old friend.  Both situations are beautiful and perfect. 

Andy's family and my family just mesh together.  I have been so blessed.  I love our time together.  I love every moment.  As I sit here and write this now, I realize this special day I am writing about has passed and time is moving on.  I know our time is coming to an end and my heart is slowly breaking. 

I thank God for these blessing and these moments... these perfect moments in my life. 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a moment to treasure. So glad your family is doing so well. Love the pictures.
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully shared, love you all, I know you are treasuring the moments and holding them close to your heart.

    ReplyDelete