Monday, August 2, 2010

Forever Connected


I sleep in a pillowtop bed with a warm down comforter and contoured pillow….she sleeps on the hard floor with no blanket
I heat things up in a microwave – she heats food over an open fire
I dine on asparagus and filet minon, goat cheese or fresh tomatoes – she eats rice and has a bag of flour and maybe some fish if someone catches them that day
I wash my laundry on sanitary cycle in my upright washing machine – she scrubs her clothes in a bin and hangs them to dry, never really getting them clean
I sit in a glider on my patio by the fire pit to relax – she squats and uses her heels as a chair while she cooks over her open fire to feed her large family
My hair smells of smoke from roasting marshmallows – her hair smells of smoke from surviving
I drive my car – she walks barefoot over rocky coral
I brush my teeth every day – she uses her finger and water (unless someone has given her some toothpaste)
I drink purified and bottled water – she drinks water she collected from the last rain
I wash my hands with antibacterial soap – she takes a shower from a bucket of rainwater
I forget to turn off the lights when I leave the room – her light is the sun, when it goes down, the light is off
I love a child with all my heart – she loves a child with all her heart

We are two women from such different places, but are forever connected. I love this woman with all my heart and soul. I will carry her with me in my heart and long for the next time I see her. I will raise her son to be my own, but never forget how she is so much a part of him. I will look at him and see her face. I see her nose, her brilliant smile, even her toes. Rickson is so much of Elina. I have learned so much from her. I am changed because of her. I have witnessed the ultimate love for a child. She trusts me with her child. I will raise him to know her and to love her. I am leaving my heart with her…

8 comments:

  1. You make me cry - for so many reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so heartfelt.

    You should have that translated for her, she too would treasure it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What amazing words. In talking to Chris this weekend I could see and hear the love he has for Elina and her family. It truly is amazing, the experience you are having. Forever changing - no doubt.

    Dina, Sonnet and I are sending a flat rate box of clothes today. Based on your previous post it looks like you may be leaving before the box gets there. Hopefully, the clothes will get to Elina.

    I can't wait to see you, hug you and hold Rickson.

    Love you,

    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your words brought tears to my eyes since I will soon understand those feelings firsthand. Thank you for being so honest with your feelings and sharing them

    ReplyDelete
  5. such an amazing experience and time for you all...cherish every moment...even the ones with rodney (or his friends... since it sounds like doug took care of rodney). how you have been forever changed within this short time you've had with rickson, elina, and all her family. you have tugged at my heart every day i read your blog. we send our prayers for all of you...especially elina...my heart breaks for her...you have become so dear to her,lady. please let her know that so many back in the states are thinking of her and feel like we have met her ourselves. we will pray for her often!

    love you, laurie. know that you are making me desperately wanting to be in nepal...or the marshall islands!!!

    love,
    cathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laurie,
    I have been following your blog every day and sharing your posts with Bill. I am so moved by the things you write. I am so glad you have shared this with us. As I hold our newborn baby, Jeremy Michael, I think of your family and pray for you. The picture you posted of Rickson taking his bath was so cute. I haven't been able to get his cute little face out of my mind and that visual reminds me to pray for you. I praise God for the life changing experience that your family and Elina's have had in meeting one another.
    In God's love,
    Susan Wyer

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful.. Do you mind if I repost this on my blog (giving you credit of course). I think it would really help family and friends understand why we're doing this adoption and more importantly- why she is.

    ReplyDelete