Monday, July 19, 2010

My Day at the Beach



If you could have seen it, you would have laughed. I am actually glad no one did. Well, no one except the nice Marshallese family out for a picnic. They offered to feed us lunch, but we had just had our own picnic of peanut butter and sand sandwiches.

Since Chris was not feeling well, he stayed home so he could sleep and rest and I decided I would venture out with Chase and Rickson and head to the beach.

Well, the trip to the beach is about an hour car ride (funny considering we are surrounded by water). Rickson rode in the front passenger seat and Chase in the back jumping up and down and coming to the front to give Rickson kisses. We arrived at the beach and I was stunned by the beauty. It was so stunning I don’t even know how to describe it. I now know what it is like on a deserted island in the middle of the Pacific. Simply amazing. We got out of the car and took our lunch down to the sand. I spread out our small bath towel and Chase and I sat on that and I laid Rickson on his blanket. Oh how sweet and perfect….about that time Chase proceeded to get wet sand all over one hand and try to eat with his other. I had to help him hold his peanut butter sandwich that was beginning to fall apart, all the while trying to stay on our tiny towel to keep the sand away. Then I noticed the wind had blown Rickson's blanket and the cute picture perfect Rickson had somehow managed to get a hand full of sand that was now in his mouth and all over his face. I am sweating like crazy and so is he. I tried to wipe the sand off, but it is sticking to his sweaty face and my sweaty hands. By now Chase’s peanut butter sandwich is sand covered and hopeless. Chase then decides he is ready to go swimming and is begging me to go in the water with him at that very moment because he is scared of crabs (of which I have seen none). I am trying to convince him to go in the water by himself while I am digging for a diaper wipe for Rickson’s face and trying to keep his hand out of his mouth. I then realized I had a large body of water right at my footsteps so off we went to rinse Rickson off and let Chase play. However, I forgot Rickson’s hat and he was too hot . I was able to convince Chase we should probably pack up our picnic and head home. We were there for about an hour (most of the time spent walking to our shady picnic spot, setting up, eating sand, packing up and walking back to the car). Needless to say it was an adventure and I still laugh every time I think about it.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder what the Marshallese family thought !!! So funny ! Love you ! Hope you get a chance to go again !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Laurie...how I reminisce about our adventure to Laura Beach as well! When we went I got a little car sick because of the too long windy, bumpy car ride & another birth family's little boy got stung by a jelly fish. I think that's why they call it "surviving paradise"!

    ReplyDelete