Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Thoughts on Two Weeks in Majuro

  • I will never tire of seeing the pigs in the streets
  • After almost two weeks, I don’t even notice the garbage strewn about everywhere, I just see the beauty of an unknown nation
  • The cockroaches have been given names by the other adoptive families and it makes it easier to laugh about them (especially when they join us on our dinner table and on our beds)
  • The local Ace Hardware (yes they have one) only sells American flags – we are bound and determined to come home with a Marshallese flag, they have to sell them somewhere…
  • The mix of cultures is amazing. I love to see the American and Japanese influence here in a nation that was once the centerpiece of WWII in the Pacific
  • Chris’s 35 pound Yellow Fin Tuna doesn’t seem so big now that I hear the Marshallese man that took him fishing once caught a 688 pound Marlin
  • Rats are in the ceilings of our hotel room. I have taken to believing they are really large and heavy kittens running around that sound like they are about to fall through the ceiling. It makes it much easier to fall back asleep at night.
  • After just a short time here, we have already made friends that stop us when they see us on the streets, in the stores and restaurants.
  • I have never been so relaxed in all my life. This experience is teaching me so much, including to take things in stride
  • I feel so blessed to be able to experience life like this

5 comments:

  1. Finally, someone else who also hears those danged rats in the ceiling! I was told I was losing my marbles. And nice mental twist to try n forget about them. I convinced myself they were cats because I swore they'd come strutting thru my door at any moment. For the flag, I was told to check w the stores that sell boating supplies as well, check w the Marlin fishing folks (the little blue building right outside the RRE) Have you met Eddie at the hardware store? He's great. Finally, I too enjoyed the comfort and courtesy of the Marshallese driving/walking experience. Nothing like here. And once you are home, you'll feel like you are doing the Indy 500 for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad says that you are experiencing what it was like growing up in the tropics. I am reliving Panama days. It would be good if everyone would experience life like this.It gives you a new sense of appreciation of what we have. Yet, they have something special , too, that we don't . The key is never to forget it, and I know you won't. We love you guys so much. Kiss our grandchildren for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photo of the pigs. Love your thoughts. Saw Kendra and Christy tonight and told them how much I love your blog!! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have loved reading your blog too Laurie! It was great to see Becky and Christy last night. The kids liked seeing the picture of the pigs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooops...sorry I didn't tell you about the rats in the ceiling/walls. I didn't want to freak you out!!! While there the Marine fishing folks were moving the office so they aren't in the little blue building anymore. I did find a small Marshallese flag at Payless but who knows if they still have them. You could try the Alele Museum (right by the courthouse). Call first since no one is ever there. You're so relaxed b/c you're experiencing island life. It's nice to not have an agenda and not have to plan your life around the clock like we do in the states. You can appreciate life for what it is and just be! P.S. Not having to do my own laundry, make my bed, and clean my room wasn't too bad either!

    ReplyDelete