Today Elina called me from a neighbor’s phone. I knew it was her as soon as I answered because I heard the roosters in the background. Our plan for today was to pick up Elina’s laundry and have it done for her. (Yes, our laundry experience went well yesterday so now we want to do Elina's). We are going to pick it up around 4:00 this afternoon and take it back to her house. Today I got my first peek inside her house. Everytime we are there we have been sitting outside where it is cooler. The inside is so organized. On the back wall she has a row of hooks and they are lined with book bags. On the main wall are alphabet cards. I commented on them and she said Alia (her three year old) is learning her letters. On the right side of the house is the hotplate on the floor which is powered by butane. She has no electricity, no running water and no plumbing. They get their water from rain collection bins outside. You see those everywhere. Her house is one room about 5x6… When we got to her house today she gave me a little handmade basket. Everytime I see her she is giving me something. She has given me two of her dresses (moo moo’s), a bracelet and two pair of earrings that she handmade out of coconut prawns and sea shells. Last night she told me that she learned to make these from her grandmother (her bubu) while she was living on the outer atoll of Mili. Mili is a five hour boat ride from Majuro. Elina has nothing, yet gives me so much. I have started giving her some of my clothes and we laugh that we have traded dresses.
We have been here one week today and I am in no way ready to come home. I just want to soak in as much of this country and culture as I possibly can. It is amazing how anxious I was before I left about being here so long. It is actually a blessing in disguise! Chris and I talked today at our restaurant lunch “event” that none of us are ready to leave. Chris wishes he could stay the entire time instead of just the three weeks! We are not sure what Chase will do, as you all know he informed us he wants to stay forever!
Rickson still continues to amaze me. He is such a good baby. He is sleeping great and was actually the last one to wake up today! He wakes up once or twice a night to eat and then goes back to sleep in his little travel bed. He is making the transition great! He has a little cough and some blocked tear ducts, but other than that is super healthy. It amazes me that his skin is perfectly smooth and not a bug bite in site. There is no explanation other than God’s protection over him, as so many of us prayed for before we got here. His brothers and sisters and all the neighbor children are covered in open sores and bites, but Rickson seems as healthy as if he were born at Christ Hospital in the states.
Chase is such an amazing big brother and I am so proud of him! He loves Rickson so much and sings to him every day. I am still trying to capture his made up “I love you Rickson” song on video. If I can catch him in the act, I will post it on the blog.
Well, I am sure you all are wondering if I am ever going to stop writing today. I just wanted to try to get down some thoughts from a day of doing nothing. By the way, we are getting really good at this “doing nothing” thing.
Until next time…
Friday, July 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Prayer continues to cover you all. Love ya
ReplyDeletehello from the whiteys! we are loving your blog! i check it numerous times a day to see if you've updated and then i, of course, read it over and over! i feel like i can relate with everything you guys are experiencing even though i haven't! rickson is just too precious! what a beautiful family you guys have!!! i think it is going to be super hard for all you guys to part ways...you all are getting so attached to one another!!! what a wonderful time for all of you, though....you are making me want to go to the marshall islands now! i love all your commentary...i feel like i am learning so much about this country i've never heard of before. know that we love you guys so much and can't wait to meet rickson (i just love that name!). we are heading to nebraska for a week to watch wendy compete in the national special olympics games, so i will not have a computer to check your blog for the next week which makes me sad...i will be anxious to get home and read all your wonderful stories!
ReplyDeletelove,
cathy and chris
p.s. it is so sweet to see how chase has fallen in love with his little brother...and so awesome to see God at work!
I love your blogs and so many people tell me that they check it daily. We are all learning so much about the MI. I love you all so much - and am so proud of you. I miss you and love you all so much. God is truly blessing you. We are praying for you all many times each day.
ReplyDeleteP.S. Yogi is doing great !
How fantastic each and everyday/hour seems to be. The love in the hearts of those around you and your wonderful storytelling. Chase and Rickson will be big buddies and on the go all the time.
ReplyDeleteCan hardly wait to see you in the Houston airport as you return home.
Lots of love to all,
Uncle Jim
I am so enjoying reading of your adventures. Thank you for taking the time to write. Praying all continues to go well.
ReplyDeleteBecky